Eggplant Soup Recipe
Eggplant (or aubergine if you prefer) is not the most flavoursome of vegetables but has the ability to absorb other flavours and with its soft texture can made a smooth and appetising soup.
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 1 large aubergine/eggplant (about 1lb)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 3/4 pints vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons milk
- a little olive oil
- Peel and chop all the vegetables.
- Gently fry the onions in the oil for a few minutes.
- Add the sherry.
- Add all the other vegetables, herbs and seasoning.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Remove soup from the heat and allow to cool.
- Blend in blender then add milk and re-heat gently.
- Serve hot.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 2 - 4 portions