Dutch Pea Soup Recipe
A thick and delicious soup which can be used as a starter or, with the addition of extra meat such as boiled ham or bacon, as a main meal.
- 1lb dried split peas, soaked overnight then well-drained
- 6 pints cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed and finely sliced
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed and finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 good quality Frankfurter sausages
- Place the water and soaked peas in a large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer gently for 4 hours.
- Whilst the peas are simmering, melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Add the vegetables to the melted butter and fry for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- When cooked remove the peas from the heat.
- Allow to cool a little and then blend in a blender.
- Return to the pan.
- Add the fried vegetables.
- Cover and simmer for an hour.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with slices of Frankfurter.
Prep Time: 480 minutes
Cook Time: 75 minutes
Yield: 4 - 6 portions
Powered by Comment Script