The traditional doughnut recipe. These are probably the best known English cake but are quite unusual inasmuch as they are yeast based but are cooked by deep-frying.
- 4 cups plain flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 oz fresh yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pint organic milk
- 2 free-range organic eggs
- organic red jelly
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- organic oil for deep-frying
- Cream the yeast with the sugar.
- Rub the butter into the flour and add the salt.
- Stand the mixture in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Beat the eggs and pour them and the milk into the flour mixture.
- Add the yeast and mix to a dough.
- Leave to rise in a warm place for one hour.
- Put dough onto a floured board and roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut dough into rounds.
- Put a teaspoonful of jelly into the centre of half of these rounds.
- Moisten the edges of the rounds and put a plain round on top.
- Press the two edges together.
- Put into patty tins in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Fry in deep oil, drain and roll in sugar.
Prep Time: 120 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Powered by Comment Script