Curried Lentil Soup Recipe
Here is a recipe for a spicy, tangy lentil soup that draws heavily on Middle Eastern cuisine.
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- seasoning to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion in the oil over moderate heat, stirring slightly until golden brown.
- Add the spices, garlic and ginger and cook the mixture for 30 seconds, stirring the whole time.
- Add the lentils, measured water and bouillon.
- Bring the liquid to the boil and simmer, covered for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Season the soup with the lemon juice and season to taste.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script