Cucumber Soup Recipe
Here is a simple recipe to make a tasty and healthy cucumber soup - the spring onion adds a little extra flavour.
- 1 large cucumber
- 6 spring onions, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- pinch of caster/superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 pints milk
- 1/2 pint water
- 1 dessertspoon corn flour/cornstarch
- sprinkling of black pepper
- Peel the cucumber and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Put in the cucumber and the onions.
- Fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, pepper and 1/2 pint of cold water.
- Cover and simmer gently until the cucumber is quite tender.
- Place in a blender and puree.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little of the milk to a thin paste.
- Add gradually the remainder of the milk, put it in a saucepan and stir while it boils for 5 minutes.
- Add the cucumber puree and continue stirring until it comes to the boil again.
- Serve. A tablespoon or two of cream is a great improvement to this soup for special occasions, but is not necessary.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2-4 portions
Powered by Comment Script