Cream of Turnip Soup Recipe
Turnip is an unusual vegetable to use as the main ingredient in a soup but with the addition of watercress this is a soup that is well worth making.
- 4 large turnips, scrubbed and diced
- bunch watercress, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons double cream
- 1 1/2 pints water
- grated nutmeg, fresh if possible
- extra cream
- chopped chives to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the turnips and watercress and cook, covered, for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in 1 1/2 pints of water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Liquidize the soup thoroughly and pour back into the saucepan.
- Heat gently.
- Stir in the cream, seasoning and nutmeg to taste.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2-4 portions
Powered by Comment Script