Cream of Parsnip and Swede Soup Recipe
Made from the cheapest of root vegetables a pinch of cinnamon and plenty of black pepper transforms this soup into an elegant dinner party winner.
- onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 small swede, peeled and chopped
- the weight of the swede in parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2oz butter
- salt and black pepper
- 1 chicken stock cube
- a pinch cinnamon
- 1 pint water
- milk for thinning soup
- finely chopped parsley and cream to serve
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the vegetables to the butter and cook gently until softened without browning.
- Add the water and stock cube.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently for about 1 hour.
- Do not strain.
- Allow to cool and blitz the vegetables and cooking water in a blender.
- Add enough milk to make a suitable consistency for the soup.
- Add the cinnamon.
- Check the seasoning.
- Serve with parsley and a swirl of cream.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 75 minutes
Yield: 2-4 portions
Powered by Comment Script