Cream of Mushroom Soup with Croutons Recipe
For a home-made soup, this is an exceptionally good one. Made carefully with fresh mushrooms it really may convince you to stop buying tinned soup.
- 8oz button mushrooms, stalks removed and reserved, mushroom caps sliced
- 6oz onions, skinned and chopped
- 3oz butter
- 1 1/2oz plain flour
- 1 1/2 pints chicken stock
- 1/2 pint milk
- salt and pepper
- pinch garlic salt
- a little lemon juice
- croutons to serve
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Fry the mushroom caps until tender.
- Remove from pan and reserve.
- In the butter left in the pan fry the mushroom stalks with the onions until tender.
- Add the flour, cook stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the stock slowly.
- Bring to the boil stirring all the time.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Cool the mixture.
- Puree in a blender.
- Put the soup in a saucepan.
- Add the milk, pepper, salt, garlic salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Heat by simmering for 10 minutes.
- Do not allow to boil.
- Add the reserved mushroom slices and heat through.
- Serve with croutons.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script