Chestnut Cream Soup Recipe
Chestnut is synonymous with Christmas time and this cream of chestnut soup makes a perfect addition to your Yuletide dining. Here's another chestnut soup recipe that you may like to try: Seasonal Chestnut Soup Recipe.
- approx. 20 chestnuts
- 1 quart stock
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 pint cream
- Peel the chestnuts; the easiest way to do this is to make a small cut on the flat side of the nuts with a penknife and to put them in a hot oven until the skins crack and open, when they can be quite easily removed. They take 5 to 10 minutes, according to the heat of the oven.
- Peel, slice and fry the onion in the butter without letting it colour at all.
- Add the peeled chestnuts and the stock and boil gently until the chestnuts are quite soft.
- Place in a blender.
- Put this puree in a double saucepan with hot water in the bottom container.
- Beat the egg yolk with the cream and stir in.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- The water under the puree should just simmer not boil.
- Serve very hot with croutons.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2-4 portions