Cherry Soup Recipe
An attractive and refreshing fruit soup, cherry soup makes an excellent first course for an adventurous dinner party. NB. Lightly cooked eggs should be avoided by young children, pregnant women and the elderly.
- 2 punnets black cherries, stones removed and chopped
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 pints vegetable stock
- 2 cloves
- half a cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons soured cream
- Melt the butter over a low heat.
- Add the peeled and chopped onion and cook gently until transparent and soft.
- Stir in the flour and mix well.
- Gradually add the stock and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
- Take from the heat and add the cherries, cinnamon, cloves and lemon zest.
- Bring the soup back to the boil and allow it to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Take from the heat and allow to cool.
- Using a sieve, remove all solid ingredients.
- Press the solids in the sieves with the back of a spoon to extract all possible flavour.
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl and incorporate 2 tablespoons of the soup into it.
- Add this to the rest of the soup.
- Re-heat but do not boil.
- Swirl the soured cream into the soup before serving.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2-4 portions