Celery Soup Recipe
Celery soup along with mushroom and tomato is one of the classic vegetable soups. Careful preparation of the celery is needed to avoid strings and fibre, so you may want to pass it thorugh a sieve before serving.
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- 1 pint milk
- 1 onion
- 2 heads celery, prepared and washed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and black pepper
- cream if liked
- Cut the celery into small pieces.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Put in the onion and celery, and cook over gentle heat for 5 minutes, but do not let it brown.
- Add the stock.
- Season and simmer gently until the celery is quite soft.
- Place into blender and puree.
- Return puree to the saucepan and add the milk.
- Make very hot and serve.
- Cream can be added if liked.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 2-4 portions
it was the best soup i haved ever tasted
this soup will freeze well, no problem
to #11-ness- 2/25/2010
to prepare celery, peel it with a potato peeler, that way you get all the stringy bits off,start at the top and pulldown it works for me
I have grown it myself and it seems a shame to throw so much of the bush away.
I guess the blender will shred them along with the stalks.
celery and pumpkin? trying to use up everything from the allotment