Cabbage Cream Soup Recipe
A good way of increasing your daily vegetable count; not quite as challenging as a plate full of cabbage! Without the cream and butter (or with low fat alternatives) it represents a good, low fat soup.
- 1 cabbage, washed, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 pint milk
- 3 pints water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 dessertspoon flaked tapioca
- salt and black pepper
- cream (optional)
- Put cabbage and onion into a saucepan with 3 pints of water.
- Boil until the vegetables are quite soft - about 25 minutes.
- Skim surface well.
- Allow to cool for a while.
- Put vegetables and water into a blender and blend well.
- Return to saucepan and gently heat.
- Sprinkle in the tapioca, add the butter and milk and season to taste.
- Simmer for a quarter of an hour.
- Take the pan off heat stir in cream if desired.
- Serve hot.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2-4 portions