Buckwheat and Potato Soup Recipe
Buckwheat and potato soup is a hearty, filling winter soup that will satisfy the biggest of appetites. It also has the added ingredient of soya and yeast extract which give a lovely flavoursome edge to the soup. Of course, if you aren't a fan of yeast extract (such as Marmite or Vegemite) you can leave them out of the recipe.
- 1 medium-sized potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 pints vegetable bouillon
- 1/2 cup buckwheat
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract
- 1 pint milk
- 1 teaspoon Soya sauce
- seasoning to taste
- Bring the bouillon to the boil in a saucepan.
- Add the buckwheat, vegetables, parsley, oregano and yeast extract.
- Cover and simmer for about half an hour, until the buckwheat and vegetables are tender.
- During the half hour of simmering add up to half of the milk if all the cooking liquor has been absorbed.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly and blend, adding the remaining milk as required.
- Add the Soya sauce and seasoning, then reheat to serving temperature.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Thin with extra milk or bouillon as necessary.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 2-4 portions