Brussels Sprout Soup Recipe
It's fair to say that Brussels sprouts are not everyone's favourite vegetable and often get overlooked when meal-time comes. But if you are looking for a way to increase your or your family's green vegetable intake then this soup is a great way of making sprouts palatable. It's also an excellent recipe to have around Christmas time when there are normally plenty of leftover sprouts that need to be used.
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed and washed
- 2 pints vegetable or chicken stock
- pinch of bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 pint milk
- 1 dessertspoon cornstarch
- salt and black pepper
- fresh grated nutmeg
- Put sprouts in a pan of boiling water with pinch of bicarbonate of soda.
- Bring to the boil for 5 minutes.
- Skim surface.
- Strain in a colander.
- Put the stock in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Add sprouts and boil until they become soft.
- Rub them through a sieve or blend with blender.
- Return the puree to the saucepan.
- Mix the cornstarch to a very thin paste with milk.
- Stir it into the soup and continue stirring until it has boiled for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Add the nutmeg and the remainder of the milk.
- Serve hot.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 2-4 portions