Broad Bean Soup Recipe
This recipe makes a smooth, fresh tasting soup, ideal for mid summer when the first young beans are ready.
- 1 cup of shelled broad beans
- small bunch of fresh herbs, tied into piece of muslin
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 heaped tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 pint milk
- salt and black pepper
- Put the beans in boiling water and cook until tender.
- Strain, cool in cold water and remove the skins.
- Put the skinned beans in a saucepan.
- Add the onion, herbs and the stock.
- Simmer until the onion is tender.
- Take out the bunch of herbs and rub the beans and stock through a sieve or blend with blender.
- Return mixture to the saucepan.
- Add the butter.
- Mix flour with the milk and add to saucepan.
- Season to taste.
- Stir while the soup boils for five minutes, then serve.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 2-3 portions
Powered by Comment Script