Breton Soup Recipe
A regional French soup containing a lovely variety of fresh vegetables.
- 1 cos lettuce
- 2 small carrots
- 1 leek
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium turnip
- half head chicory
- a little chervil
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- 1/4 pint cream
- 1 large egg yolk (or 2 small)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- salt and black pepper
- Wash and shred all the vegetables, chicory and chervil.
- Put them into a pan with the butter and 1/2 pint of stock.
- Let them simmer until tender, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Pour in the rest of the stock, add a little seasoning.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Mix the yolk of egg with the cream.
- Add to the soup 5 minutes before serving.
- Make sure it does not reach boiling point again after the egg and cream have been added.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script