Borshch Soup Recipe
A classic Russian/Ukrainian dish. As with all root vegetables, beetroot makes an excellent soup.
- 2 large uncooked beetroots (about 1lb)
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 1 carrot
- 1 turnip
- 1 large potato
- 1 stick of celery
- 2 pints strong chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 level teaspoon caster/superfine sugar
- chives for garnish
- 1/4 pint sour cream
- Peel and dice the beetroot.
- Prepare all the other vegetables and chop finely.
- Put them all into a large saucepan and cover with the stock.
- Add the bay leaf and parsley and season well.
- Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice, and tomato puree to the soup and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Allow to cool and blend in blender.
- Re-heat thoroughly and add the sour cream just before serving with a sprinkling of chopped chives.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 75 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script