Bean Soup Recipe
Generally associated with winter stews and soups, beans make for a filling and tasty soup which can also be served as a main meal with plenty of fresh home baked bread.
- 1 cup haricot beans (tinned or dried. If dried, they need to be soaked.)
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 leeks
- 2 sticks of celery
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium sized tomatoes skinned
- 2 1/2 pints chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil OR 6 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- If dried and soaked, cook beans until soft and reserve the cooking water.
- Peel and chop the onion and carrots and wash and chop the leeks and celery.
- Soften the onion in the olive oil.
- Add the other vegetables and cook until just soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes with the stock and a little bean water.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer until all the vegetables are cooked.
- Remove from the heat and tip in the beans.
- Season to taste.
- Stir in the basil or parsley.
- Reheat carefully and serve.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script