Barley Soup Recipe
A wartime recipe using ingredients that are still cheap today. This soup is warming and filling and ideal for the credit crunch. If you want to add more depth to the soup try adding potatoes, dumplings or meat.
- 2oz pearl barley, soaked overnight in cold water
- 1/2lb carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2lb turnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick of celery, washed and sliced
- a little parsley, chopped
- 1/2 pint milk
- 4 pints water
- salt and pepper
- Put all the ingredients, except the milk, into a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil.
- Simmer until the pearl barley is cooked.
- Push through a sieve.
- Add the milk to the sieved soup.
- Bring back to the boil.
Prep Time: 480 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 portions