Barley and Hazelnut Bread Recipe
A nutty tasting bread that is excellent with strong cheese.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh yeast
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- approx. 2 cups warm water
- 5 cups (1lb 4oz)wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup (2oz) barley flour
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup (approx. 5 oz) chopped hazelnuts
- In a bowl cream together the yeast and molasses to form a smooth paste.
- Add the warm water and stir well.
- Leave the yeast mixture covered in a warm place for 10 minutes or so to allow it to become frothy.
- Place the wholemeal flour, barley flour, salt and chopped hazelnuts in another mixing bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together and make a well in the centre.
- Pour the frothy yeast mixture into the well and start mixing.
- When the dough has formed, turn it out onto a well floured board.
- Knead for about 10 minutes, using extra flour if it becomes too sticky.
- Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover it with a cloth and leave in a warm place until it has roughly doubled in size.
- Knead again for another couple of minutes, and then divide the dough into 2 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a loaf and put in well greased loaf tins.
- Dissolve an extra teaspoon of molasses in a little water and brush the tops of the loaves with it.
- Leave them to rise again in a warm place until the dough reaches the tops of the tins.
- Bake at 400oF/200oC/gas mark 6 for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350oF/180oC/gas mark 4 and continue to bake for another 35 to 40 minutes.
- Leave the loaves to cool on a wire rack.
Prep Time: 180 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
Powered by Comment Script