Banana and Cherry Cakes Recipe
By James Maddock
If you are looking for a simple cake recipe that offers something a little different then these cakes are definitely worth trying. They are very moreish and are sure to go down a treat with friends and family. The flavours of banana and cherry go very well together and its also a good way of using bananas that have gone a bit mushy and brown. The cherries on top are an option; you may wish to leave them off entirely or ice the top of the cakes.
- 8oz self-raising flour
- 2oz glace cherries, chopped and rolled in flour (reserve a few whole cherries for decoration)
- 2 bananas, peeled and mashed
- 4oz butter
- 4oz sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- rind 1 lemon
- milk to mix
- Put the butter and the flour into a bowl (see picture 1).
- Rub the butter into the flour to make breadcrumbs (see picture 2).
- Add the sugar, lemon rind and chopped cherries (see picture 3).
- Then add the beaten egg and mashed bananas (see picture 4).
- Mix all the ingredients together (see picture 5) - if the mixture is too dry add a little milk.
- Place in greased bun tins and then bake at approx. 200 degrees C. for about 20 minutes or until the cakes are risen, golden in colour and firm to the touch.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 12 cakes