Austrian Toffee Buns Recipe
Austria is well known for its pastries, breads and cakes and this recipe is a perfect example of this heritage.
- 1lb strong plain flour
- 4oz caster/superfine sugar
- 1 level teaspoon dried yeast
- 1 level teaspoon caster/superfine sugar
- 1/3 pint + 3 tablespoons tepid milk
- 1/2 level teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 10oz butter
- brown sugar
- ground cinnamon
- little extra melted butter for brushing
- Put 8oz of the flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the yeast and the milk and mix to form a batter.
- Leave in a warm place until frothy.
- Add the remaining 8oz flour and the salt to the yeast mixture.
- Add the beaten eggs, the remaining sugar and 8oz of the butter (soften it first).
- Beat the dough thoroughly for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Cover and leave overnight in the fridge.
- Knead the dough.
- Roll out into an oblong 1/8 inch thick.
- Brush with melted fat and sprinkle with raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll up and cut into 1 inch slices.
- Put a small knob of butter (from the remaining 2oz of butter) and 1 level teaspoon brown sugar into the bottom of 12 bun tins.
- Place a slice of the dough in each tin and set to prove until well risen.
- Bake at 160oC for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn out onto a wire rack leave upside down.
Prep Time: 480 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 12 buns
Powered by Comment Script