Hand and Foot Carebr>
PLEASE NOTE:Although all the ingredients in these beauty recipes are natural, remember that it is still possible to be allergic to anything applied to the skin. DO NOT USE ANYTHING NUT BASED ON YOUR SKIN IF YOU HAVE A NUT ALLERGY. To test other ingredients make up a very small amount of the recipe you intend to use. Wash and gently dry a small patch of skin inside your elbow. Apply a little of the mix to the skin and leave for 48 hours. If you experience any redness or swelling DO NOT USE THE BEAUTY RECIPE AT ALL.
We strongly recommend that you do your own research before using any of the ingredients in these recipes since some ingredients should be avoided by certain groups of people. Mountain Rose Herbs' website has a wealth of information on herbs, their uses and possible side effects. Many essential oils and herbs should always be avoided by pregnant/nursing ladies. Always check with a qualified health advisor if in doubt.
Hand Care Recipes
The hands are the parts of the body most exposed to the cold, to water and to the damaging effects of chemicals used for cleaning and in many occupations. The nails are of course similarly damaged. It is of the greatest importance therefore to cleanse and nourish the hands and nails in order to keep the skin smooth and unblemished and to encourage the nails to grow healthily. Here are a few recipes that with help keep your hands and nails in good condition.
Hand Softening Treatment
Olive oil is a natural moisturiser for the skin and the nails. The lemon oil adds a nice perfume. This probably isn't something you'd want to do very often, maybe once every few weeks.
Ingredientshalf cup olive oil
2 drops lemon essential oil
Method- Apply to hands.
- Put on a pair of cotton gloves.
- Leave oil on over night.
- Rinse hands.
Honey Hand Cream
This is a great recipe for combating very dry hands which may have been exposed to harsh weather or detergents etc. Once you've made it, keep it in the fridge and it should last for up to a week. Hopefully by that point your hands should feel a lot less sore.
Ingredients4oz softened lard
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon finely ground almonds
1 tablespoon clear or set honey
a few drops rosewater
Method- Mix the softened lard with egg yolks, clear or set honey, finely ground almonds and a few drops of rosewater.
- Massage this cream into your hands.
Nails grow from the cuticles so it's essential that the cuticles are well nourished. The oils in this recipe soften and nourish the cuticle area and massaging the nail oil into the cuticles stimulates the blood flow and encourages healthy nail growth.
Ingredients4 tablespoons almond oil
1 tablespoon apricot kernel
5 drops essential oil of rose geranium
2 drops essential oil of rose
Method- Combine all the ingredients and store in a clean, dark glass bottle.
- Massage nail cuticles with it once a day.
The Perfect Manicure
A quick guide to pampering your hands. Make this a weekly treat for your hands and it will soon pay dividends with softer hands and longer, stronger nails.
Ingredients1 bowl warm soapy water
1 bowl warm plain water
1 good emery board
cotton wool buds
small clean towel
few drops olive oil
Method- Soak your nails in the soapy water for 5 minutes.
- Ease any dirt from under the nails with a cotton wool bud.
- Rinse nails in plain water.
- Dry hands and nails on a towel.
- Use the course side of the emery board to reduce the length of your nails if required.
- Shape your nails, filing away from the hand in one direction only.
- Do not file into the corners of your nails.
- Smooth your nails with the fine side of the emery board.
- Gently massage the cuticle cream into your cuticles.
- Very gently push back the cuticles, if necessary, using a cotton bud.
- Massage a little olive oil into your nails.
- Massage your hands with a generous amount of hand cream.
Foot Care Recipes
Hidden away in your shoes, feet are very often neglected. In many ways they need more care than your hands and are very important to your well-being and comfort. Keep dry, hard skin at bay and skin supple and healthy by trying some of these natural foot treatments.
Ingredients3 tablespoons fresh peppermint, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh eau de cologne mint, chopped
2 tablespoons sea salt
2 drops lavender essential oil
Method- Pour about 1 pint of boiling water over the mint leaves.
- Leave to infuse for about 8 minutes.
- Strain and add the sea salt.
- Leave to cool.
- Add the lavender oil.
- Put the whole mixture into a large bowl of hot or cold water for a soothing foot-bath.
- DO NOT USE IF PREGNANT OR FOR CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 12.
Soak for Aching Feet
A fragrant, refreshing foot bath.
Ingredients2oz marigold leaves, brush off any insects
2 pints boiling water
Method- Put the leaves into a large bowl.
- Pour the water over the leaves.
- Add to foot bath water.
Elegant Softening Foot Bath
Soften and perfume your feet after a long day at work.
Ingredients10 drops sandalwood essential oil
1/4 pint almond oil
Method- Mix the oils together.
- Put into a bottle.
- Use a little in your foot bath.
This scrub helps to gently slough off unsightly hard skin and callous.
Ingredients1 small cup coarse sea salt
1 small cup olive oil
Method- Mix salt and oil together.
- Massage the feet with the mixture, concentrating on any hard skin.
- Rinse with clean warm water.
A refreshing yet softening lotion to apply to parched feet.
Ingredients5 teaspoons glycerine
15 teaspoons rosewater
Method- Mix the ingredients together.
- Massage into clean feet.
The Perfect Pedicure
After all the heavy Christmas shopping you have been doing, bring the spring back to your step with a relaxing pedicure.
Ingredients1 bowl (big enough to get both feet in!) or a foot spa
your favourite soap of shower gel
Newton's chiropody sponge
warm, dry towel
Method- Soak your feet in the warm water for a few minutes.
- Think relaxing thoughts.
- Give your feet a good wash with your favourite soap or shower gel.
- Remove any troublesome hard skin using the chiropody sponge, following the instructions on the packet.
- Dry your feet well, especially in between the toes.
- Cut any toenails that need cutting, being careful not to cut down the sides of the nails as this can cause ingrowing nails.
- Smooth of the nails with an emery board.
- Apply moisturiser, massaging in well.