Shrewsbury Spicy Easter Biscuits Recipe
Coming from Shrewsbury, this is one of the few remaining known recipes for spicy festive biscuits. Virtually every region in Britain had a variation on this recipe but most have now been lost.
- 8oz (2 cups) flour
- 4oz (1/2 cup) caster/superfine sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cinnamon (or ginger)
- 2oz (2 tablespoons) currants (or caraway seeds)
- 4oz (4 tablespoons) butter
- pinch of salt
- Sieve the flour, cinnamon and salt into a basin.
- Rub the butter in.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat the yolks and add to the mixture.
- If it is too dry, add 1 egg white.
- Add the currants.
- Roll out very thinly and cut out biscuits with a fancy cutter.
- Put onto a greased baking tray.
- Cook in a cool oven for about 15 minutes or until very pale brown in colour.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 - 10 biscuits
People replaced Cassia with mixed spice and such things, but it doesn't have the same taste to bring the memories flooding back.
If your struggling to find Cassia oil I use www.homeherbs.co.uk they use pure essential oils to guarantee that strong taste.