Spinach Stuffed Lamb Recipe
A tasty lamb dish for Easter. With the meat firmly secured the stuffing should stay in place, but if a little does escape, use it as a garnish for the sliced lamb on the serving dish.
- medium sized shoulder of lamb, blade bone removed
- plain/all purpose flour for dusting
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4oz (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks/ribs, finely chopped
- 8oz (3 cups) fresh or frozen chopped spinach
- 4oz (1/4 cup) pork sausagemeat
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- good pinch of nutmeg freshly grated
- seasoning to taste
for spinach stuffing:
- To make the stuffing, melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onion and celery.
- Cook gently for about 5 minutes until the onion and celery are soft and lightly coloured but not browned.
- Cook the spinach in a separate pan for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the spinach very well through a fine sieve, pressing with the back of a spoon to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Mix the spinach into the fried onion mixture and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Mash the sausagemeat in a bowl.
- Add spinach mixture and stir well.
- Stir in the egg, mint and nutmeg.
- Season well and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and put in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
- Pre heat oven to 170oC/325oF/gas mark 3.
- With a sharp knife, carefully enlarge pocket left in the lamb by removal of the bone.
- Pack in the stuffing, pressing it down well.
- Draw edges of pocket together and secure with a meat skewer.
- Cut a piece of foil nearly large enough to enclose the lamb.
- Line a roasting tin with the foil, then put the lamb, skin side up, in the tin.
- Season with salt and pepper and dust with flour.
- Pour the oil evenly over the surface of the lamb.
- Bring the foil up closely around the sides of the lamb but do not cover the surface.
- Roast the lamb in the oven for 2 hours, basting occasionally with the juices in the foil.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200oC/400oF/gas mark 6, open out the foil and cook for a further 1/2 hour until the skin is crisp and browned and the meat is cooked through (the juices run clear when the lamb is pierced with a fine meat skewer).
- Remove skewer and transfer the lamb to a warmed carving dish.
- Return to oven turned to the lowest setting for 10 - 15 mins for the meat to settle so that it is easier to carve then slice and serve.
- Serve with roast potatoes and buttered new carrots for a contrast in colour with the spinach stuffing.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 160 minutes
Yield: 4 portions