Russian Easter Cake (Kulich) Recipe
This is a recipe for a traditional Russian Easter cake called Kulich that is usually served with Pashka.
- enough yeast as per packet instructions for this amount of flour
- 60ml luke warm water
- 8oz (1 cup) seedless raisins
- 4 strands of saffron
- 30ml Vodka
- 250ml luke warm milk
- 2lb (4 cups) flour
- 10oz (10 tablespoons) vanilla sugar
- pinch of salt
- 10oz (just over 1 cup) unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 4oz (1/2 cup) chopped blanched almonds
- 4oz (1/2 cup) chopped candied peel
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 10ml water
- 1 tablespoon fine bread crumbs
- 3oz (3 tablespoons) icing/confectioners sugar
- 15ml water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- chocolate vermicelli
- sugar roses
For the icing:
- Whisk the yeast into the luke warm water.
- Put the flour, 1 tablespoon vanilla flavoured sugar and the salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the luke warm milk into this and stir in the yeast mix.
- Make sure that all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and set aside in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile put the Vodka into a small container and put the saffron into it.
- Leave to soak.
- Put the raisins into a small bowl and cover them with water.
- Leave them to soak as well.
- Put the butter into a bowl and soften it using a wooden spoon.
- Mix in the rest of the sugar and beat in the eggs.
- Add this to the dough once it has doubled its bulk.
- Drain the raisins and strain the saffron from the Vodka, retaining only the Vodka.
- Add the now orange coloured Vodka and raisins to the dough.
- Add the almonds, candied peel and the rest of the flour to the dough.
- Combine all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead very thoroughly until elastic and smooth.
- Put the dough into a clean basin, cover with a clean cloth and set in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Shape the dough, which is quite stiff, into a cylinder shape and place on a deep, greased baking tray.
- Cover again and set aside to rise.
- Brush the top of the dough with the egg yolk in water and sprinkle on the breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (see temperature conversions) for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- When the cake is cooked allow to cool on a wire-rack.
- Mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice and spread on top of the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle with vermicelli and decorate with sugar roses.
Prep Time: 240 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 1 Easter Russian Cake
Powered by Comment Script