A traditional festival cake from the north of England that is eaten during the Easter holidays.
- 8oz (2 cups) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 14oz (3 1/2 cups) oatmeal
- 8oz (8 tablespoons) black treacle
- 8oz (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 6oz (6 tablespoons) brown sugar
- 6 fluid oz milk
- 2 medium organic eggs
- Sift together the flour, mixed spice, ginger and bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the oatmeal.
- Put the treacle, butter, sugar and milk into a small saucepan and heat very gently until all the ingredients are mixed together and the butter has melted.
- Allow this to cool and stir in the flour mixture.
- Add the eggs, beating until smooth.
- Turn into a well greased tin about 11 x 9 x 2 inches and bake at 180 degrees centigrade (see temperature conversions) for about 50 minutes.
- The cake should be firm to the touch.
- Remove from tin and cool on a wire rack.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 1 cake
Easter easter easter! Yum I feed my whole family with it and they loved it they asked who gave it to me and I said the internet came up with easter parkin so I looked it up and they also asked for the recipe BUT I didn't give it to them but told them what to type in and they tried it and now my mums going to make next easter!!!!
#0 - Rebecca - 09/16/2009 - 22:03
Powered by Comment Script