Easter Cakes Recipe
A traditional recipe for delicious, spicy small cakes at Easter. Nowadays we would be more likely to call them biscuits.
- 8oz (2 cups) self raising flour
- 4oz (8 tablespoons) butter
- 4oz (4 tablespoons) sugar
- 2oz (2 tablespoons) currants
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 teaspoons organic lemon juice
- Rub the butter into the flour.
- Add the sugar and spices and the lemon juice.
- Beat the egg with the brandy and add to the flour mixture to make a paste.
- Roll out the paste very thinly on a floured board and cut out into rounds of about 5 inches across.
- Bake at 220 degrees centigrade (see temperature conversions) for about 10 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
- These biscuits burn very easily so be vigilant.
- Traditionally they were served decorated with primroses and violets.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 6 - 12 portions
Powered by Comment Script