Bury Simnel Cake Recipe
A regional variation on Simnel cake, traditionally eaten at Easter. See also Simnel Cake Recipe.
- 8oz (2 cups) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 4oz (8 tablespoons) butter
- 1oz (1 tablespoon) candied peel
- 4oz (4 tablespoons) currants
- 4oz (4 tablespoons) sultanas
- 4oz (4 tablespoons) brown sugar
- 2oz (2 tablespoons) chopped blanched almonds
- 2 eggs
- Put the flour and butter into a big basin.
- Rub the butter into the flour.
- Add all the other ingredients except the eggs and almonds and mix well.
- Then add the eggs and mix to a stiff dough.
- Add a little milk if the mix is too dry.
- Roll out to half inch in thickness.
- Cut into round cakes and sprinkle with the almonds.
- Cook on a greased tray for about 45 minutes at gas mark 5 (see temperature conversions).
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 1 cake
Powered by Comment Script