Wassail Bowl Recipe
This is a traditional warmed alcoholic drink which was offered to Wassailers as they went from house to house singing and wishing people a "Merry Christmas". The toast floating on top acts as a 'sop', which was part of medeval cuisine. Any good quality ale will do. This beverage is sure to liven up the Christmas spirit!
- 6 pints ale
- 1lb sugar
- 1 nutmeg, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 4 glasses sherry
- lemon slices
- 3 slices toast, crusts removed
- Warm 2 pints of beer so it is still cool enough to drink.
- Dissolve the sugar in the warm beer.
- Add the nutmeg and ginger.
- Add the sherry and the remaining beer.
- Finally add the lemon slices and serve with the toast floating on top.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 - 12 servings