Traditional Spiced Beef Recipe
Spiced beef can be used as a Christmas buffet dish along with cold turkey, ham, cheeses, pickles etc. It is especially delicious with pickled red cabbage.
N.B. Saltpetre is not now readily available because of health worries and other issues.
- medium size brisket of beef
- 1/4 pint malt vinegar
- 1 onion
- 3 small carrots
- 1 turnip
- 1 tablespoon saltpetre
- 4 level tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- Put the salt and all the other ingredients (except the beef and vegetables) into a large bowl and mix well.
- Put the beef into the salt mixture making sure the meat is well covered.
- Put into the fridge and turn the beef in the salt mixture once a day for 7 days always ensuring that the salt mix covers the meat.
- At the end of the 7 days rinse the beef in cold water.
- Set it to cook in a large saucepan with enough water to cover the meat, adding the peeled, chopped vegetables.
- Cook for about 5 hours on a very low heat.
- When cooked, remove any bone in the meat and tie the meat to keep it in shape.
- Place between two plates and put a weight on top.
- Put in fridge overnight.
- Serve cold.
Prep Time: 7 days
Cook Time: 5 hours
Yield: 4 - 8 servings