Stollen, also known as Weihnachtsstollen�or�Christstollen, is a traditional Christmas fruit bread from Germany. Stollen, like many other Christmastime breads throughout Europe, is packed with rich, sweet and spicy ingredients and really encapsulates all the flavours of Christmas. The early Stollen in the 1420s was a pastry made of flour, water and oats but over the years become a bread which is now enjoyed all over the world. When making Stollen be aware that is is quite a dense bread and doesn't tend to rise as much as other breads.
- 1 sachet yeast (follow instructions on packet)
- 3oz caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- a few drops almond essence
- 14oz plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5oz unsalted butter
- 2oz raisins
- 2oz glace cherries, washed dried and chopped
- 2oz cut mixed peel
- 1 1/2oz flaked almonds
- sifted icing sugar to decorate
- Mix the yeast with the flour in a large basin.
- Add liquid according to instructions on yeast packet.
- Add the egg, rum, almond essence, fruit and flaked almonds.
- Add 3oz of the butter cut into small cubes.
- Mix to a dough, adding more flour as required.
- Knead for 10 minutes or until the dough becomes light and elastic.
- Set to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Knock back the dough and knead until smooth.
- Roll out into an oblong 12 inches by 8 inches.
- Melt the remaining 2 ounces of butter.
- Brush the dough with some of the melted butter, leaving enough to glaze the top later.
- Sprinkle with the caster sugar.
- Fold one long side of the dough into the centre of the oblong.
- Fold the other long side over so that it overlaps well the other long side.
- Press down to make the fold tight. It is important to do this so that the Stollen retains its shape when it rises.
- Shape both ends making then slightly pointed.
- Brush with the rest of the melted butter.
- Put on a greased baking tin.
- Leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Bake at 190 degrees C. for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Shake a generous amount of icing sugar over the stollen.
- Cut and serve.
Prep Time: 180 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf