Scandinavian Saffron Bread Recipe
This is a saffron bread enriched with eggs and sugar. This particular recipe originates from Scandinavia.
- 1/4 pint milk
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2oz butter
- 14oz strong plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2oz caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 6oz mixed dried fruit
- 2 eggs
- 2oz flaked almonds
- 6 sugar lumps
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- Heat the milk until lukewarm.
- Place the saffron in the milk.
- Leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- Dice the butter.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and add butter.
- Rub in with fingertips until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and yeast.
- Add the milk and 1 egg and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth or oiled cling film.
- Leave to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Turn out onto a floured surface.
- Knead to knock out all the air.
- Flatten the dough out, sprinkle over the fruit and nuts and knead into the dough.
- Divide the dough into 3 and form a plait.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Cover with oiled cling wrap.
- Leave to rise for about 30 mins, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 200oC/400oF/gas mark 6.
- Beat the second egg.
- Crush lump sugar.
- Brush plait with beaten egg, and bake in centre of oven for 25 - 30 min, or until well browned and firm.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- While still warm, brush with syrup and sprinkle over the sugar topping.
Prep Time: 240 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 large loaf
Powered by Comment Script