Ricotta and Spinach Parcels Recipe
This recipe is part of the December 2007 Recipes Menu.
Starter - Avocado Cream Terrine
Starter - Goats Cheese, Pear and Walnut Salad
Main Course - Fruit Stuffed Goose
Main Course - Parcels of Ricotta and Spinach
Dessert - Cranberry Cheesecake
Dessert - Christmas Chestnut Bombe
Tasty little golden parcels that are great to serve as a vegetarian option for Christmas dinner. Spinach and ricotta go very well together as the Italians dicovered in their cannelloni dish and this recipe just borrows that theme. These really are very easy to make and require little preparation. If you wish you can buy ready-to-use puff pastry which will cut down the workload significantly. This recipe makes four parcels so serve one or two per person for the Christmas meal.
- 1lb raw weight spinach, cooked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon green peppercorns
- 1lb puff pastry
- 8oz - 12oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and fry the onion gently until softened.
- Add the green peppercorns and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the cooked spinach and mix together.
- Roll out the puff pastry thinly on a lightly floured work counter and cut into 4 squares 7 inches wide.
- Place a quarter of the spinach mixture in the centre of each square and top with a quarter of the cheese.
- Brush a little beaten egg around the edges of the pastry squares and bring the corners together to form parcels.
- Press the edges together firmly to seal.
- Place the parcels on to a greased baking tray.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake in a preheated oven 200 degrees C. for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 parcels