Mince Pies Recipe
Mince pies are a must have at Christmas either either as a snack or as part of the Christmas Meal. Easy and fun to make, they can be served with cream, custard, ice cream and brandy butter to name a few. Originally mincemeat contained real meat, the only vestige of which is now suet. At one time the pastry was shaped like small cradles to represent the birth of Christ.
Ingredientsmeasure conversions for more information on quantites)
- Roll the pastry out thinly.
- Cut out 12 rounds with a 2 1/2 inch cutter and 12 rounds with a 2 inch cutter (for the lids).
- Press the larger rounds into well greased patty tins.
- Place a little mincemeat into each.
- Beat the egg white until it is just frothy and smooth.
- Brush the edges of the filled pastry and 'stick' on the pastry lids.
- Brush the tops with egg white and make a small hole with a sharp knife blade in the top of each pie.
- Sprinkle with the caster/superfine sugar.
- Bake at 200 degrees centigrade (see temperature conversions) for about 25 minutes.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 mince pies