Melon and Prawn Cocktail Recipe
A variation on the standard prawn cocktail. It is very tasty and has the advantage of being versatile if one of your guests happens to be a vegetarian (i.e. simply omit the prawns.)
You may be interested to try this suggested menu:
Starter - Avocado and Grapefruit Salad
Starter - Melon and Prawn Cocktail
Main Course - Goose with Apple and Walnut Stuffing
Main Course - Roast Pheasant with Cranberry Sauce
Dessert - Christmas Pavlova
Dessert - Prune, Apricot and Nut Torte
- 1 small honeydew melon, deseeded and peeled
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon French mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- seasoning to taste
- 1 large red dessert apple
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 9oz peeled prawns
- 8 unpeeled prawns for garnish
- Put the vinegar, oil, mustard and parsley into bowl.
- Beat well.
- Cut the melon into small neat cubes.
- Quarter and core the apple but do not peel it, then cut the flesh into neat cubes.
- Put the melon, celery, apple and prawns into the dressing and mix lightly together.
- Spoon the melon and prawn mixture into the serving dishes.
- Garnish and serve at once.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 portions