Fruit Stuffed Goose Recipe
A traditional favourite at Christmas and a welcome change from turkey.
You may be interested to try this suggested menu:
Starter - Avocado Cream Terrine
Starter - Goats Cheese, Pear and Walnut Salad
Main Course - Fruit Stuffed Goose
Main Course - Parcels of Ricotta and Spinach
Dessert - Cranberry Cheesecake
Dessert - Christmas Chestnut Bombe
- 1 ready to eat goose weighing 7lbs
- 8 floz pint chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 Cox�s apples, peeled and coarsely grated
- 7oz ready to eat dried apricots, cut into fine strips
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 7oz walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 1lb onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 7oz streaky bacon smoked, diced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 tablespoons brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
for the stuffing:
- Put the apricots into a bowl with the brandy and leave to soak.
- Sprinkle the apple and carrots with the lemon juice.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onions gently until soft.
- Add the bacon and mix in the grated carrot and apple.
- Season and cook gently for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the nuts, apricots, brandy and spice.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Stuff the neck of the goose and secure the flap with trussing threads or cocktail sticks.
- Put the goose on a rack in a roasting tin and rub with oil.
- Cook for an hour at 230 degrees C.
- Pour the stock over the goose.
- Lower the oven temperature to 180 degrees C.
- Cook for a further hour or until the juices run clear, basting frequently with the pan juices.
- Use the pan juices to make gravy.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 120 minutes
Yield: 4 - 6 portions