Exotic Christmas Cake Recipe
This sort of fruit cake is also known as "White Fruit Cake" because it turns out a much paler colour than the traditional Christmas Cake. This recipe is made exotic by the addition of stem ginger and glace pineapple.
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup caster/superfine sugar
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup drained, chopped stem ginger
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup chopped glace pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped candied peel
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- grated rind 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cream the butter and sugar until light in texture and pale in colour.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together.
- Beat one egg into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add a little flour.
- Beat well.
- Repeat for each remaining egg.
- Fold in the remaining flour.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Spoon the mixture into a cake tin lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake at about 150 degrees centigrade (see temperature conversions) for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
- Top with almond icing and then royal icing if required.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 180 minutes
Yield: 4 - 6 portions