Danish Christmas Cookies Recipe
Traditionally throughout Europe special spicy cookies and cakes have been cooked to celebrate Christmas and other religious festivals.
- 4oz plain flour
- 4oz butter
- 4oz caster sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon or ground cardamom
- pinch salt
- blanched almonds to decorate
- Put aside the egg white, 1 tablespoon of the sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon or cardamom for glazing.
- Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the yolk of the egg, the sugar, salt and spice.
- Mix the dough with a wooden spoon and then knead until smooth.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface until 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out cookie shapes with your favourite cookie cutter.
- Mix the egg white with 1 level tablespoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of spice and brush over the cookies.
- Put one blanched almond in the centre of each cookie.
- Bake in a slow oven until light brown.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 16 - 20 cookies
Powered by Comment Script