Crispy Cheese Wafers Recipe
These delicious savoury biscuits make an ideal accompaniment for any dips or pates. Make sure that you cut the dough very thinly and be careful not to prise them from the baking parchment too soon or they will crack.
- 6oz plain flour
- 4oz unsalted butter
- 3oz mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- mixed, chopped nuts for topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sift the flour, salt and pepper into a large mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour until you have achieved a fine bread-crumb like mixture.
- Add the cheese.
- Mix to a dough with the egg yolk and water. Add a little more water if needed.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and shape into a long roll (about 2 inches in diameter).
- Wrap the pastry roll in foil and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Remove the roll from the fridge and cut into very thin slices.
- Brush the top of each biscuit with a little milk and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Place on a tray lined with baking parchment.
- Bake for about 12 minutes at 190 degrees C.
- Remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from baking parchment.
- Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve with blue cheese dip.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Yield: around a dozen wafers