Coconut and Orange Christmas Plait Recipe
This bread is flavoured with coconut and orange and makes a nice morning snack with coffee or a glass of sherry!
- 4 cups strong white flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 7 fluid oz coconut cream
- 2 fluid oz grand Marnier
- 1 orange, finely grated rind and juice
- 1 beaten egg
- Put the flour, sugar, salt, orange rind and coconut into a warm bowl.
- Mix the yeast with a little of the coconut cream, add to the dry ingredients and make into a soft dough.
- Add the remaining coconut cream, grand Marnier, orange juice and egg.
- Knead on a floured board for 10 minutes or until smooth.
- Shape into 3 long strands, plait, and then join the 2 ends of the plait to make a circle.
- Place onto a greased baking tray and leave to prove until double in size.
- Cook in a preheated oven 190oC/375oF/gas mark 5 for 30 minutes.
- When cool decorate the top with glace icing and orange strands.
Prep Time: 180 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 - 8 portions
This is an interesting recipe. I've never seen coconut in bread before, other than in an Indian naan bread. I didn't think that coconut was particularly associated with Christmas but I guess it depends on what country you come from. I can't remember it playing any part in my Christmas celebrations. Anyway I'm going to try and make it and see what it tastes like.
#0 - daniel - 07/03/2015 - 12:05
Powered by Comment Script