Christmas Vegetarian Loaf Recipe
It is always a challenge to find a really special alternative to Turkey for the vegetarian, but this loaf is excellent for any festive meal.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pint milk
- 1 pint assorted mushrooms
- 1 large egg
- 2 Spanish onions
- 3 tablespoons wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 cup mixed nuts (not peanuts), ground in a blender
- 1 tablespoon ground rice
- chopped fresh mixed organic herbs
- black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- Wipe the mushrooms and peel if necessary.
- Peel and chop the onions, garlic and mushrooms very finely.
- Fry them in the butter with salt and pepper.
- Cook until soft but do not brown.
- Stir in the ground rice, breadcrumbs, herbs and milk.
- Stir until the mixture thickens.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool.
- Liquidize until smooth.
- Beat the egg and add to the mix.
- Stir in the nuts and check the seasoning.
- Put into a well greased 2lb loaf tin.
- Cook for about 1 hour at Gas mark 4 (see temperature conversions).
- Refrigerate and reheat carefully for Christmas lunch.
- Serve with vegetarian gravy.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Thankyou for the recipe. My family are going through a vegetarian phase and no doubt it will last until Christmas so I'll try to cook this in the lead up to Christmas so I know it will work.
#2 - aubrey - 07/03/2015 - 12:07
This recipe looks delicious but it's the first time I've seen 'a pint of mushrooms' - what is this in grams?
#1 - Jane - 12/14/2011 - 13:39
would this loaf be OK at room temperature. Seems like it would?
#0 - Kay Dewar - 12/04/2009 - 22:28
Powered by Comment Script