Christmas Pavlova Recipe
By James Maddock
This recipe is part of the December 2006 Recipes Menu.
Starter - Avocado and Grapefruit Salad
Starter - Melon and Prawn Cocktail
Main Course - Goose with Apple and Walnut Stuffing
Main Course - Roast Pheasant with Cranberry Sauce
Dessert - Christmas Pavlova
Dessert - Prune, Apricot and Nut Torte
If you have room left here is a light Pavlova with satsuma and pecan to add an exotic touch.
- 4 egg whites
- 8oz caster sugar
- 3/4 - 1 pint whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons pecan nuts
- 4 satsumas, peeled and segmented (remove all pith and inner skin)
- 1 pomegranate
- Line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper (or baking parchment).
- Draw a 9 inch circle on to one of them.
- Whip the egg whites in a large grease-free bowl until stiff.
- Add the sugar gradually, continuing to beat until the mixture is very glossy.
- Pipe or spoon a layer of meringue mixture on to the circle marked on the greaseproof paper, then place spoonfuls all around the edge to build up a sort of "wall" (You are making a container for the fruit, nut and cream filling).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 140 degrees C. for 2-3 hours.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- When cold, peel off the greaseproof paper carefully.
- Whip the cream in a large bowl until stiff.
- Chop the remaining nuts and fruit, and fold into the cream.
- Pile into the meringue base.
- Scoop the seeds from the pomegranate with a teaspoon and sprinkle them on top.
- Serve immediately.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 180 minutes
Yield: 4 servings