Christmas Biscuits Recipe
These traditional biscuits can be threaded with ribbon and hung on the Christmas tree but for only for an hour or so. Left hanging for too long they will go soft.
- 4oz butter
- 1 tablespoon black treacle or golden syrup
- seeds from 4 cardamom pods, ground
- 2oz caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 7oz plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg yolk
- water icing
- thin ribbon
- Melt the treacle or golden syrup with the butter in a pan.
- Add the ground cardamom seeds.
- Add the sugar and almonds.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices.
- Add to the mixture in the pan.
- Add the egg yolk and mix to a smooth dough.
- Wrap in cling film and chill in the fringe for about 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut out with Christmas biscuit cutters.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet.
- Cook for about 12 minutes at 190 degrees C. or until firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven.
- Being careful not to burn yourself make a suitable hole for the ribbon in each biscuit.
- Ice as desired.
- Thread ribbon through hole.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 - 12 biscuits
Powered by Comment Script