Christmas Pudding Deluxe Recipe
A variation on the traditional Christmas pudding, so if you want a change from the ususal, give this one a go. This one should hopefully turn out from the pudding basin decorated with the almonds that have been put in first.
- 10-12 whole almonds
- 3/4 cup (6oz) butter, plus extra for greasing
- 2 oranges
- 6 tablespoons golden caster/superfine sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (6oz) self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sultanas
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons chopped dates (stoned)
- whole glace cherries and candied peel to taste
- 1 tablespoons dark rum or orange juice
- custard, whipped cream, brandy butter or clotted cream to serve
- Skin the almonds.
- Butter a 2 1/2 pint pudding basin and stick the whole almonds round the sides with a dab of butter.
- Grate the rind from the oranges using a finely meshed grater.
- Beat the butter with orange rind until soft.
- Add the sugar and whisk until pale and fluffy.
- Lightly beat the eggs and whisk in, adding a teaspoon of flour with each addition.
- Sift the flour and cinnamon into the mixture and add the fruit.
- Spoon the mixture into the bowl, being careful not to move the almonds.
- Cover with a large circle of pleated, buttered greaseproof paper and foil.
- Tie securely with string under the rim of the bowl.
- If your bowl or mould had a lid, clip this on over the greaseproof paper.
- Place in a large saucepan and fill with enough boiling water to come 2/3 of the way up the sides of the bowl.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and simmer for 4 1/2 hours, or until cooked in the centre.
- Top up the pan with boiling water occasionally.
- Serve either with custard, whipped cream, clotted cream or brandy butter.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 270 minutes
Yield: 4 - 6 portions