Avocado Grapefruit Salad Recipe
I love avocado. There's no other fruit that comes close to it's creamy texture and delicate flavour. In some cuisines it is used as a dessert fruit (apparantly the Taiwanese eat avocado with milk and sugar) but in this country we use it more as a savoury ingredient. I particularly like it with bacon in a salad - that has to be in my top five favourite dishes. In this recipe the avocado works nicely with the sharpness of the grapefruit and the acidity of the grapefruit helps the avocado keep its colour. Luckily avocados are available at Christmas - but the only tricky part of this recipe is timing the ripeness of the avocados for Christmas day. You don't want them rock hard or too mushy. It you have a local greengrocer I would advise that you order them in advance for collection a couple of days before Christmas. A good tip for hastening ripeness is putting the avocados in a paper bag with a banana.
You may be interested to try this suggested menu:
Starter - Avocado and Grapefruit Salad
Starter - Melon and Prawn Cocktail
Main Course - Goose with Apple and Walnut Stuffing
Main Course - Roast Pheasant with Cranberry Sauce
Dessert - Christmas Pavlova
Dessert - Prune, Apricot and Nut Torte
- 1 small lettuce, trimmed and washed
- 2 small avocados, peeled, stoned and sliced
- 1 small grapefruit, peeled, white pith removed and segmented
- 2 dessert apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- To make the dressing, mix together the honey, vinegar and olive oil in a bowl.
- Whisk with a fork until the dressing is thick and all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Season to taste.
- Mix all the ingredients with the dressing making sure that all the fruit is well coated. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves in a salad bowl, pile the dressing in the centre and serve at once.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2-4 servings