Apple and Mincemeat Squares Recipe
Very often after the Christmas rush I usually find a jar or two of mincemeat lurking in the fridge. At that point I can't bear to make or see any more mince pies so I find this recipe really handy for using up the surplus mincemeat. It's basically a tray-bake cake that is flavoured with apple, mincemeat, cinnamon and brown sugar. It's a lot easier than making a traditional cake but the result is just as good. When it is cooked you can leave it in the tray until needed. It makes a great snack to have with a cup of coffee or it can be served with cream or ice cream as a dessert.
- 8oz butter
- 11oz light Muscovado sugar
- 1lb self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 4 large cooking apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons mincemeat
- 2 tablespoons Demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coarse porridge oats
- icing sugar for dredging
- First of all melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Next add the muscovado sugar and stir thoroughly until all the sugar has dissolved into the melted butter.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and set aside for a few minutes to allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile sift the self-raising flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the now cooled butter and sugar mixture into the well. Mix thoroughly.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and add to the mixture, stirring well to combine thoroughly.
- Spoon two-thirds of this mixture into a greased and lined cake tin. You will need to press the mixture down firmly with the back of a metal spoon.
- Peel and slice the apples thinly and place in a bowl with the lemon rind and juice (the juice helps prevent the apples turning brown).
- Add the mincemeat, Demerara sugar and cinnamon to the apples. Stir well.
- Spoon the mincemat and apple mixture over the prepared base. Smooth the mixture over the base in an even layer.
- Mix the porridge oats into the remaining third of the cake mixture. Distribute this mixture evenly over the fruit layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven 190oC for about 35-40 minutes.
- When cool cut into squares and remove from the cake tin.
- Dredge with icing sugar before serving. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4-8 portions