White Sauce Recipe
A very good basic sauce which can be served as it is or with the addition of cheese, parsley and other sweet or savoury ingredients.
- 2 level tablespoon butter
- 1 heaped tablespoon plain flour
- half pint cold milk
- salt and pepper
- Put the butter into a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Soften over a very low heat.
- Add the flour.
- Using a wooden spoon mix the flour and butter together to form a smooth paste.
- Remove from the heat.
- Very gradually begin to incorporate the milk into the flour and butter paste.
- Make sure that there are no lumps in the sauce.
- Return to a gentle heat.
- Stirring all the time, gradually add the rest of the milk.
- Bring the sauce to the boil.
- Still stirring, boil gently for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and season to taste.
- At this point you can add any other flavoring such as cheese.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Powered by Comment Script