Potato Pastry Recipe
A potato pastry, although unusual, is easy to make and is ideal for savoury vegetable, meat and fish pies, especially steak and kidney pie.
- 2 large potatoes
- 6 level tablespoons butter
- 5 heaped tablespoons plain flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- Peel and cook the potatoes in boiling water until soft.
- Cool the potatoes a little.
- Pass them through a sieve or ricer until very smooth.
- Cream the butter with a wooden spoon in a large mixing bowl.
- Do this until it becomes light in colour and fluffy in texture.
- Stir the potatoes lightly into the butter.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the potato mixture.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon until a dough is formed.
- Knead lightly until smooth.
- To use, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to about half inch thickness.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: NA
Trying to find a suitable pastry recipe for a potato pie that can be cut into smaller squares the potato must not be mashed but slices
#2 - D Gibson - 04/23/2011 - 02:27
Try adding either a little milk or some of the potato water to the mash. This will give a softer pastry! Is also good to add some parsley or fresh chopped herbs if using for a veggie pie, gives it a lovely colour too. Hope this helps!
#1 - Carrolyn Nesbit - 01/17/2010 - 10:13
what does potato do in pastry does it make it fluffy, tender ?? im trying to make the perfect pastry for an aussie meat pie ? the ingredients holds but it still tastes like a sayo ? (To Flaky) if you could help it woul be apreciated.....kind regards Taren
#0 - Taren - 11/30/2009 - 19:59
Powered by Comment Script