Cornflour/Cornstarch Sauce Recipe
This is a very easy and quick recipe and can be adapted to many different sauces both sweet and savoury. Simply add fruit, jam/jelly or chocolate for sweet sauces or cheese, parsley, bread, onion etc. for savoury sauces. This method avoids the more difficult method of making a roux based white sauce.
- 1/8 cup (1/2 oz) cornflour/cornstarch
- 1/2 pint cold milk
- salt and pepper
- Put the cornflour/cornstarch into a heat-proof basin.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of the cold milk.
- Blend the cornflour into the milk using a wooden spoon.
- Make sure the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan and bring it to the boil.
- Pour the hot milk gradually over the cornflour mixture, stirring all the time.
- Put the mixture into a clean pan and put onto the heat.
- Bring it to the boil whilst stirring constantly.
- Boil gently, still stirring, for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in seasoning or chosen flavouring.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6 - 10 minutes
I'll have a look for you. In the meantime, does anyone else have any ideas?